Saturday, September 20, 2008

Badminton Thrill



(No, this is not me...I just like the form. Hehe)

It has been one of my greatest passions since I was in secondary school. It was sort of an accident as during our school Foundation Day, no one from our class wanted to represent for th the badminton tournament. Each player had to go against another HS level on a round-robin match, and I was like “Ok, lemme try then”. I was on my sophomore year when I tried it and ever since, every school glory day, I was the sole rep for the class and every time I’d come out as champion! With no formal training, or any training for that matter, I ended up glorious. I guess it was really something innate that wanted me to win so badly, I guess it had something to do with me being a true blue Leo. The biggest compliment I got from that time, was a college student who wanted me to join the college team to compete for a big school time. Alas, as someone who was still in high school, that wasn’t allowed but I persevered and kept winning.

This time I play out of passion still and more of recreation and fitness as well. Even though, it still brings out the aggressiveness into the table. I’d turn into a horrible monster once I’m into my 100% full play, and wouldn’t want the idea of losing as a side meal. You see, when I’m in the mood, I get all shaky and my mind rambles in all aspects and would just wanna smash the shuttlecock as hard as I can and gives me the satisfaction I need. This is my true nature though; somehow it’d feel it’s the game of life. Other side of it would just to de-stress. Even though my body is crumpled from all the muscle sores, my mind in a way has eustress-ed, meaning I would los all negative vibes once I’ve played, especially if it was a good game! Yeah!





Of course there are bad times; losing is part of the whole concept of being in a game. In order to succeed one must experience pain; again this concept applies in the order on life. Like the last time I played back in August where I was with a few officemates. I was totally smuttered as in all 5 sets I’ve played with against my opponents which fell into despair, a losing battle no matter how we tried. It wasn’t really entirely the fault of my partner, somehow it was mine as well – for letting it happen that is! I thought I wouldn’t be too affected as I knew our opponent combined together were powerful enough to crush us, but I failed to level ourselves to a desirable game – the way I wanted it. So I promised myself that I’d be better, for myself and for whoever will be my partner. I’ll work harder and push myself further even if breaks every bone (not really!). This is a challenge to myself, I will be the best. Lol.

Right now, I’m currently with a new group of PLU’s (people like us) who are badminton enthusiast as well, and this time the level of the game has move one leverage up. This guys (well, most) knows what they’re doing and be quite the dependable one when in a game which to my gushing face makes me relieved. At least I don’t have to run around too much, stretch the muscle enough just to catch a loose ball like what I’ve been used to. These guys play every Sunday at Metro Pioneer Sports Center at usually around 3 pm onwards. The first time I played, I wanted it cool. Some guys were trying to underestimate me but I let them be, let the muscles and the power do the talking. AT the end of the day, even though I both won and lost, I found the respect I needed, their acknowledgement. I’m not trying to brag or mean to hog the limelight, my point here is I’ve did my part as to where I am regarding my playing skills, all on my own and I’m proud of it!

Badminton Rules-At-A-Glance

Court and Equipment
Court size for singles - 44 feet long x 17 feet wide
Court size for doubles - 44 feet long x 20 feet wide
Net height - 5 feet
Shuttlecocks - Also known as birdies or birds. One type has feathers with a cork base, and the other is plastic with a rubber base.
Rackets - Made of lightweight material like wood, plastic or metal.
Object of the game
The object of the game is to hit the shuttlecock back and forth over a net without permitting it to hit the floor in bounds on your side of the net.

Some general rules and terms
1. A player may not touch the net with a racket or history body during play.
2. A birdie may not come to rest or be carried on the racket.
3. A birdie may hit the net on its way across during play and the rally can continue.
4. A term of service is called an inning.
5. A player may not reach over the net to hit the shuttlecock.
6. A loss of serve is called a side out.
7. In class games will be played to 15 points and a match is 2 out of 3 games.
8. Some types of shots are the lob, drop shot, smash and drive.
Click here to see a diagram of the court
Serving
1. A coin toss or spin of the racket determines who will serve first.
2. The serve must travel diagonally (cross court) to be good.
3. A serve that touches the net and lands in the proper court is called a let serve and is reserved, otherwise, only one serve is permitted to each court until a side out occurs. A serve that is totally missed may be tried again.
4. The racket must make contact with the birdie below the waist on a serve.
5. The server and receiver shall stand within their respective service courts until the serve is made.
6. Points may only be scored when serving.
7. All lines are considered in bounds.
8. In singles, when the server's score is an even number, the serve is taken from the right side. When the server's score is an odd number, it is taken from the left. (Serving in a doubles game is different)

Source: http://www.westlake.k12.oh.us/hilliard/whspe/badminton/badminton_rules.htm

No comments: